Almond Breakfast BreadShape the dough before letting it rise in the refrigerator overnight. You'll love waking up to this ready-to-bake treat any day of the year.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (105 degrees F. to 115 degrees F.)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Milk (optional)
- Coarse sugar (optional)
Nutritional Information:Carbohydrate: 36g, Sodium: 219g, Fiber: 3g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Total Fat: 13g, Calories: 284, Protein: 7g.
Steps:1. In a small mixing bowl soften yeast in warm water; set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, the 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg. Cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the softened yeast, eggs, milk, and almond extract until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
2. For filling, stir together ground almonds, the 3 tablespoons brown sugar, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or allspice; set aside.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 3 portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Gently roll out each portion of dough to a 10-inch circle. Place 1 circle on a 12-inch pizza pan or a large baking sheet lined with greased foil. Brush with half of the melted butter; sprinkle with half of the filling. Cover with another circle of dough. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining filling. Top with the last dough circle.
4. With kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the stack of dough into 12 wedges, cutting to within 1 inch of the center. Carefully lift each wedge and turn over twice to create a twist in each piece. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before baking.
5. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking. If desired, brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Cool slightly on foil on a wire rack. Serve warm. To serve, transfer bread to a serving platter; cut into wedges. Makes 12 servings.
Guilt-Free Cocktail CheatsGuilt-Free Margarita
Makes 1 serving: 90 calories
1 oz jalapeño tequila
1/2 oz pear nectar
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp orange zest
In a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice, add the four ingredients. Shake until the tin is frosted. Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wedge on glass rim.
Makes 1 serving: 190 calories
1 oz citrus vodka
1 oz vanilla vodka
2 oz unsweetened pomegranate juice
1/2 oz natural sugar substitute simple syrup
In a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice, add the ingredients. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
Makes 1 serving: 170 calories
3 oz Pinot Noir
1/2 oz pear vodka
1 tsp orange blossom honey
1 oz rosé sparkling wine
Thinly slice the lemon, orange, peach and strawberry. Place 1 slice of each fruit into a Collins glass and fill with ice. In a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice, add the wine, pear vodka, and orange blossom honey. Shake until the tin is frosted. Strain into a prepared glass over ice and add the rosé sparkling wine. Serve with a straw.
Crème Brûlée Cheesecake Bars
Prize-Winning Recipe 2010! Savor the same great taste of restaurant Crème Brûlée in an easy-to-make bar cookie.
pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
box (4-serving size) French vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
tablespoons packed brown sugar
cup butter or margarine, melted
eggs plus 3 egg yolks
packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
cup sour cream
cup toffee bits, finely crushed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, pudding mix, brown sugar, melted butter, 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and 1 whole egg until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add remaining whole egg, 3 egg yolks and remaining 1 1/2 teapoons vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread over crust in pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set in center. Immediately sprinkle top with crushed toffee bits. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until chilled. For bars, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 36 bars
Make the Most of This Recipe With Tips From The Betty Crocker® Kitchens
To easily crush the toffee bits, put them in a food-safe plastic bag. Seal the bag and finely crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
Nutrition Information:1 Serving (1 Bar)
- Calories 200
- (Calories from Fat 100),
- Total Fat 11g
- (Saturated Fat 6g,
- Trans Fat 1g),
- Cholesterol 55mg;
- Sodium 150mg;
- Total Carbohydrate 22g
- (Dietary Fiber 0g,
- Sugars 16g),
- Protein 2g;
- Vitamin A 8.00%;
- Vitamin C 0.00%;
- Calcium 2.00%;
- Iron 0.00%;
- 1/2 Starch;
- 0 Fruit;
- 1 Other Carbohydrate;
- 0 Skim Milk;
- 0 Low-Fat Milk;
- 0 Milk;
- 0 Vegetable;
- 0 Very Lean Meat;
- 0 Lean Meat;
- 0 High-Fat Meat;
- 2 Fat;
- 1 1/2;
© 2012 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved
DeLISH ♥ Pierogi Casserole
"Full of flavor, this pierogi-layered casserole is nothing short of rich and hearty. It's a wonderful change from the usual humdrum casserole."
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
|1.||Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).|
|2.||Place the potatoes in a large pot with water to cover over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, drain, then combine with the milk and 6 tablespoons of butter, mash and set aside.|
|3.||Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the bacon, onion and garlic in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the bacon is fully cooked.|
|4.||Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and cool under running water.|
|5.||Place 1/2 of the mashed potatoes into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top this with 1/3 of the cheese, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat this with the remaining potatoes, another 1/3 of the cheese and a layer of noodles. Then arrange the bacon, onion and garlic over the noodles, then another layer of noodles, and finally top all with the remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.|
|6.||Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh chives.|